Kenyan marathon stars withdraw from London worlds

first_imgKipchoge will miss out, exhausted he says after failing to beat the 2hr barrier.Nairobi, Kenya | AFP |  Kenyan athletics selectors have been forced into wholesale changes to the marathon team for the August 4-13 World Athletics Championships in London following the withdraw of four top runners including Olympic men’s champion Eliud Kipchoge.Kipchoge, who narrowly missed out on becoming the first athlete to run a sub-two hour marathon last month, said he needed to rest after the gruelling record attempt in Monza, Italy.He is joined on the withdrawal list by former world record holder Wilson Kipsang, who failed to win nomination for a parliamentary seat last month and is believed to be eyeing a shot at the Berlin marathon title in September.Other athletes who have backed out for consideration include three-time London marathon women’s winner Mary Keitany and former world half-marathon record holder Florence Kiplagat.In their absence, the selectors have named two-time women’s world champion Edna Kiplagat and Daniel Wanjiru, the reigning London marathon men’s champion, to spearhead the nine-member team which is expected to start preparations for the worlds in early June.The husband-and-wife duo of Paul Lonyangata and Purity Rionoripo, who won the men and women’s titles at the Paris marathon in April, have been named as reserves.Kenya marathon team for London world championships Share on: WhatsApp MenGeoffrey Kirui, Daniel Wanjiru, Gedion Kipketer; Paul Lonyangata (reserve)WomenEdna Kiplagat, Helah Kiprop, Flomena Cheyech; Valentine Kipketer, Purity Rionoripo (reserves)last_img read more

LONGSHOT IRON ROB DEFEATS HEAVILY FAVORED DENMAN’S CALL BY 1 ½ LENGTHS IN $75,000 SAN PEDRO STAKES AS ELLIOT RIDES FIRST SANTA ANITA STAKES WINNER

first_imgTRAINED BY PAPAPRODROMOU, IRON ROB GETS SIX FURLONGS IN 1:09.05 ARCADIA, Calif. (March 20, 2016)–Longshot Iron Rob made the lead a quarter mile from home and went on to a decisive 1 ½ length victory over heavily favored Denman’s Call, providing veteran jockey Stewart Elliot with his first-ever Santa Anita stakes win in Sunday’s $75,000 San Pedro Stakes. Trained by George Papaprodomou, Florida-bred Iron Rob covered six furlongs in 1:09.05.Best known as the regular rider of 2004 Kentucky Derby and Preakness Stakes winner Smarty Jones, Elliott related that he liked what he had under him at the top of the stretch.“He came away from there and I had a lot of horse, he made me feel confident,” said Elliot. “I thought that Denman’s Call was going to have to be running to get us, because I knew I had some horse as long as he responded like I thought he would, and he did. I had a good hold of him and he was doing it easy.”A winner of the 6 ½ furlong Baffle Stakes, which was switched from turf to dirt here on Feb. 21, Iron Rob was off at 9-1 in a field of six sophomores and paid $21.80, $4.60 and $3.00. Owned by Kretz Racing, LLC, Iron Rob, a Florida-bred colt by Twirling Candy, improved his overall record to 10-3-2-0 and with the winner’s share of $46,800, increased his earnings to $157,320.“I thought he would run really well today, he ran really great last time, too,” said Papaprodromou, who then addressed the fact that Iron Rob was vanned off immediately following his win in the Baffle Stakes, creating some doubts as to his status for the San Pedro. “It was sad to see him vanned off after his last race, but Santiago (Gonzalez, jockey) wanted to be careful when he felt him take a few bad steps.“He was playing it safe. The main thing is that we’re here. He was fine, but he got heavy and tired and just took a few bad steps. I think we’ll head into graded stakes now. Why not?”Triple Crown nominated, trainer Doug O’Neill’s Denman’s Call came off a good third place finish behind undefeated Nyquist in the Grade II, seven furlong San Vicente Stakes Feb. 15 and was hammered down to 2-5 in the wagering. Ridden by Flavien Prat, he appeared to have dead aim on the winner turning for home but proved second best, paying $2.20 and $2.10.“He got a little green down the lane,” said Steve Rothblum, assistant to O’Neill. “It was only his third career start so it’s not the end of the world. He can run quite a bit. We’ll see how he is in the morning and go from there. There’s no reason to panic, that’s for sure.”Ridden by Rafael Bejarano, Mt Veeder rallied from last early to get third money, finishing 2 ¼ lengths back of the favorite. Off at 3-1, Mt Veeder paid $2.40 to show.Fractions on the race were 21.91, 44.55 and 56.53.Racing resumes at Santa Anita on Thursday, with first post time for an eight-race program at 1 p.m.last_img read more

Armed Garda squads to be deployed at Border

first_imgArmed Gardaí are set to be posted at the Border to deal with the threat of terrorist violence after Brexit.Extra personnel are being deployed to four Border divisions, including Donegal, to deal with the fallout of the UK dropping out of the EU.The Irish Independent reports that gardaí are being trained to provide 24-hour armed service in the region. At the same time, it is believed that 70 new recruits graduating from Templemore this Friday will be sent to police the Border. The potential threat of dissident attacks, criminal gangs and increased asylum seekers have all been cited as the reason behind increased security.The movements of suspected republican dissidents are currently under surveillance by Garda Special Branch patrols.Donegal is currently served by an armed support unit based out of Ballyshannon, while there have been calls for a second elite squad in the county this year to improve response times.For more, see: https://www.independent.ie/business/brexit/armed-garda-units-posted-on-24hour-border-patrol-37879577.html  Armed Garda squads to be deployed at Border was last modified: March 6th, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Live updates: Warriors vs. Timberwolves, Monday at 7:30 p.m.

first_imgJoin us for live news and analysis Monday at 7:30 p.m. when the streaking Warriors take on the Minnesota Timberwolves at Oracle Arena.The Warriors (18-9) will finally get their fourth All-Star, Draymond Green, back in the lineup. Green, who has missed the past 11 games with a sprained right toe, is expected to return after an absence which saw Golden State go just 6-5 without him.The defensive stalwart will come in handy against the Timberwolves, who boast the scoring talents of …last_img

South African businesswomen of the year saluted

first_img8 September 2015They were paragons of excellence and determination, said Nolitha Fakude in speaking about the winners and finalists of the third annual Businesswomen of the Year Awards.Fakude, the executive director and executive vice-president of strategy and sustainability at Sasol, was one of the speakers at the awards, which were organised by the Businesswomen’s Association of South Africa (Bwasa). Sasol, the international integrated energy and chemicals company, was this year’s sponsor of the awards.The awards were held to recognise the leadership and contribution of South African businesswomen to the economy, country and greater business community, Bwasa said. They were handed out at a ceremony held in Sandton, Johannesburg on 3 September.Nosipho Siwisa-Damasane, of Richards Bay Coal Terminal (RBCT); Lee Den Hond, of Blue Platinum Events; and Tembela Kulu, Gauteng provincial manager of Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (Prasa), won in the corporate, entrepreneur and government categories, respectively.Siwisa-Damasane is the first female chief executive officer of RBCT, an operation that is dependent on rail logistics and port marine services. It works closely with Transnet Freight Rail and Transnet National Port Operation. In November 2014, she received the Institute of People Management CEO of the Year award.Kulu, the Gauteng provincial manager of Prasa, was previously the public affairs manager at Metrorail’s Cape Town branch. She was also the spokeswoman for Geraldine Fraser-Moleketi during her term as minister of public service.Den Hond founded the events company, Blue Platinum Events, 15 years ago. She is also an inspirational speaker and athlete, and has completed four full Ironman endurance events.Fakude called on women to actively seek to play a role in developing a new generation of female leaders. Sasol recognised that it was through harnessing diversity that the company could deliver on its strategic objectives and create sustainable value.Farzanah Mall, the national president of Bwasa, told Business Times that too often women did not take the time to celebrate themselves. “What we sometimes also forget is that success is achieved only as a collective,” she said.“Celebrating yourself is a healthy habit,” she advised women. “Reflecting on what you’ve achieved is not only a way to fight self-doubt, but to gain clarity around how you have used your time and energy, paving the way for better future decision-making.“For every step taken, every crisis averted, every smile brought about, every tear you wiped, for every triumph big or small – my fellow women, I salute you and I celebrate you,” said Mall.Keynote speaker at the event, former Malawian president Dr Joyce Banda shared a personal message of support and inspiration with the three winners. Having overcome many of the challenges facing women in a male-dominated political arena, she noted how women from all spheres of life were being called to step up with courage, compassion and integrity – and drive much needed change across the country and continent.“The advancement and recognition of women continues to be an integral part of my work, and, as such, the role and efforts of advocacy institutions like BWASA resonate with me immensely. I salute and thank each of you for your passion, purpose and contribution,” she said.Before entering politics, Banda was the founder of the Joyce Banda Foundation, the National Association of Business Women, Young Women Leaders Network and the Hunger Project.In 2014, Forbes named President Banda the 40th most powerful woman in the world and the most powerful woman in Africa.SAinfo reporterlast_img read more

10 months agoSolskjaer on hefty bonuses at Man Utd

first_imgSolskjaer on hefty bonuses at Man Utdby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United caretaker manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is on hefty bonuses if he can lead the team to success.Solskjaer is on-loan at United from Molde.And the Mirror says according to sources in Norway, Solskjaer will be in the money if he delivers silverware or qualifies for Europe.He is earning £1m, but qualification for either the Champions League or Europa League will net him a seven-figure bonus, while winning a cup will earn a £1m payday.However, should he become the next permanent boss at Old Trafford Molde are set to benefit to the tune of £8m in a managerial transfer fee. About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img

25 days agoLiverpool manager Klopp to add to backroom staff

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Liverpool manager Klopp to add to backroom staffby Paul Vegas25 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool manager Jurgen Klopp is set to add another member to his backroom staff.According to the London Evening Standard, Porto coach Vitor Matos is close to joining the Anfield club.The Portuguese will take on the responsibility of closing the gap between the academy and the first-team.It was the role previously held by Pep Lijnders before he was promoted following the departure of Zeljko Buvac.Matos previously worked alongside Lijnders at Porto.The 31-year-old enjoyed a two-year stint in China sandwiched in between spells at the Primeira Liga club. last_img

8 days agoMan Utd teenager Williams signs new contract

first_imgAbout the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Man Utd teenager Williams signs new contractby Freddie Taylor8 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United have tied down Brandon Williams to a new contract.The promising teenager was impressive on debut in the Europa League draw with AZ Alkmaar last month.The new deal will keep him at United until June 2022, with the option to extend for a further year.Speaking after the AZ result, manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was full of praise for the young fullback.”You won’t see a better full debut from a full back anywhere,” the Red Devils coach said.”The boy is just going to improve and improve. He’s got the right mentality. I’m very pleased for him.” last_img

Louisville Commit G.G. Robinson Says It’s “Messed Up’ That The Cardinals Pulled Their Offer From Matt Colburn

first_imgThe bad side of college football recruiting was showcased by Louisville Monday night, as the Cardinals pulled their scholarship offer from commit Matt Colburn, less than two days before National Signing Day. Bobby Petrino’s program received some serious criticism from recruiting analysts following the news, including this rant from a Rivals.com writer that called for all South Carolina high school players to boycott Louisville. Even a Cardinals’ commit thinks Louisville was rough on Colburn, a three-star running back out of Irmo, South Carolina. G.G. Robinson, a three-star defensive end committed to Petrino’s program, tweeted the following Tuesday morning. Man what Louisville did to my boy Matt was messed up….. That’s awful— GG (@GGRobinson85) February 3, 2015What Louisville did isn’t unheard of, but doing it less than 48 hours before National Signing Day seems fairly classless. The Cardinals’ 2015 class ranks No. 31 in the country by 247 Sports’ Team Rankings.last_img read more